Tuesday, September 02, 2003

MESSAGE TO MY CHILDREN

If I hear from my son or daughter in a calendar year, I make a note. Some years go by with no entries in my notebook. Dear Ter and Dear Mike, how's about helping me with my note taking.

I can't express the level of absolute envy I have when it comes to your lives. I wish that I was 20ish, living the life of a young person in California. When the cold winds start bringing lake effect snow to clog my neighborhood, don't think for a second that I'm not thinking of you guys.

When I clean a drawer, I find remnants of the times we went to the ball games or the races. It is impossible for me to walk through my house without seeing your pictures.

I sometimes think about being on top of the World Trade Center at the same time that Bill Buckner allowed that grounder to sneak between his legs in the 1986 World Series. We peered through the telescopic lens, trying to see Shea Stadium. And we did see it.

Whenever the subject of fishing comes up, we all know who didn't catch the largest fish. And we all know why Mr. Armless lost his arm.

This is baseball season and recently they had the ceremonies for induction to the Baseball Hall of Fame. Do not think for a second that you guys were not on my mind at every mention of Cooperstown.

I hope you have a chance to read this post.

No comments:

Home

eXTReMe Tracker