Wednesday, July 28, 2004

Hawaiian Cigarette Controversy

Residents of the island of Kauai are disturbed by a national advertising campaign for a new cigarette named "Kauai Kolada." Their complaints relate to the use of the island's name with a hula girl on the package of pineapple- and coconut-flavored cigarettes. Anti-tobacco advocates accuse the company of trying to appeal to children.
"I am appalled that this company has chosen to use the Kauai name to market a product that kills," Kauai Mayor Bryan Baptiste said in a written statement.
Seldom do I agree with the anti-tobacco crowd because I think they go too far in demanding restrictions on tobacco while ignoring the problems associated with smoking marijuana. In fact, sometimes I get the feeling that their singular goal is to replace tobacco in society with marijuana. Nevertheless, I tend to agree with the residents of Kauai regarding the issue of Kauai Kolada. And, I agree with the anti-tobacco advocacy in that the product surely is being marketed with kids in mind.

No comments:

Home

eXTReMe Tracker