Saturday, March 19, 2005

Survival Of The Anemic

I must preface this entry by stating that I'm not a medical professional, researcher, scientist, nor biologist. Therefore, my comments regarding this story must be considered uninformed. However, I'd like to believe that most people would have a similar opinion.

That said, Dr. Thomas Perls of the New England Centenarian Study contends that blood should be drained from the body to live long. He encourages people to become anemic and stay that way. While some scientists believe that the difference in expected life span between men and women is related to hormones, Perls' theory is that women live longer than men because women menstruate, regularly losing blood, and men don't. Consequently, at an international conference yesterday, Perls said:
"I menstruate but only every eight weeks. I do that by donating a pint of blood to the hospital.

"A little bit of that is altruism but I'm also actually seriously trying to make myself iron deficient."
Frankly, this is the most out-of-left-field theory I've ever heard. And, it's by the doctor who runs a respected organization. From my reading, the New England Centenarian Study has been doing some valuable work, but this makes me wonder.

Just from a common sense level, draining blood volume and becoming anemic do not produce images of healthiness. Like I mentioned, I'm no expert but, if you ask me, Dr. Perls needs some Geritol. He doesn't seem to be getting enough oxygen to his brain.

No comments:

Home

eXTReMe Tracker