Wednesday, August 18, 2004

Supreme Court May Disbar Judge

(Columbus, Ohio) For allegedly engaging in a pattern of improper and unprofessional conduct, Court of Common Pleas Judge Deborah O'Neill may be disbarred by the Ohio Supreme Court. Judge O'Neill faces five charges of judicial misconduct and the Board of Commissioners on Grievances and Discipline recommended her law license be suspended for two years. Eight judges who work with her filed an official complaint describing rude behavior, arriving to court two hours late, and violations of law.
In one case, the judge allegedly expressed her opinion of guilt for a crime for which the defendant was not convicted.

O'Neill also allegedly pressured both sides to reach a plea agreement because she was going away. She allegedly told the lawyers, "No plea, no bail, and he'll sit in jail until I'm back from vacation."
In her defense, O'Neill has said that the other judges are just as guilty and that they are politically allied against her. Also in her defense, she told reporters that:
"I think I forgot I had a robe on. I made independent decisions and instead of sticking by them, I did things and that was a result of human behavior."
Um ... okay, whatever that's supposed to mean.

My general impression is that Judge O'Neill sounds like she could use a vacation. I also think that there should be more vigorous policing of judges throughout the United States. Many are incompetent and hurt society more than they help.

No comments:

Home

eXTReMe Tracker