Thursday, August 11, 2005

Birth Without Pregnancy

(Long Beach, CA) It is apparently not unheard of for a woman to give birth without experiencing the wonder and joy of pregnancy.

From NBCSandiego.com:
Annice Allen said she went to [sic] hospital thinking she was having severe menstrual cramps. Three hours later, she found out she was 23 to 24 weeks pregnant and gave birth to a 1-pound, 4-ounce girl she named Jimice.

"The doctor says, 'Ok, the fetus is 23 weeks,'" Allen said. "We said, 'The fetus?' We went back and forth with that, and he said, 'How old are you?' I said, 'I'm 37.' So, he puts his hand on me and says, 'A fetus is a baby.' I said, 'I know a fetus is a baby, but I didn't know I was pregnant.'"
It's still kind of hard to believe that she was totally oblivious. Of course, my involvement with pregnancy has been limited to operating the starter pistol and watching from the bleachers. Oh yeah, and decades ago I was a voyager in the process.

No comments:

Home

eXTReMe Tracker