Monday, November 19, 2007

Man Abuses Wife Over Dowry

(Ghaziabad, India) A young woman was married in July 2006 and, shortly afterward, her husband demanded his dowry. Apparently, she didn't have it.
In a gruesome incident, a 24-year-old woman was allegedly raped by seven people, repeatedly, at the instigation of her husband. Reason? She could not bring Rs 2 lakh as dowry. [Rs 2 lakh is about $5,000]

The woman has alleged that she was raped and beaten over 15 days in the house of a person in Dadri's Tulsi Vihar colony. The Dadri police did not register a case despite the woman's father handing over a complaint to the office of Vijay Kumar, Meerut police range deputy IG, on September 12. All the cops did was to go with her parents to rescue her from the house.

The woman was hospitalised three months ago after her husband allegedly tried to hang her. But despite the Ghaziabad hospital sending a memo to Ghaziabad's Kavi Nagar police station, no case was registered. The woman and her mother also claim the victim's father has been taken captive by her husband to deter him from filing a report.
Man, Indian husbands are quite adamant about receiving their dowries. When denied, it seems they go into a violent rage abusing the wives and committing crimes. Frankly, try as I might, I'm never going to be tolerant enough to accept violence against wives.

On a different note, I recall asking my wife about the dowry she was supposed to give me and she responded by throwing a shoe at me. Fortunately, I wasn't asking for much and even though it isn't worth anything close to $5,000, I really prize that shoe. I keep it in the back of a bedroom closet with some of the other prized dowry shoes she threw gave me.

No comments:

Home

eXTReMe Tracker