Tuesday, December 04, 2007

ACLU Sues to Protect Suspicious People

The American Civil Liberties Union has filed a lawsuit challenging the constitutionality of the behavior screening policy at airports. Simply put, if people are acting suspicious, authorities approach them to determine whether they represent a threat. The ACLU contends that suspiciousness profiling infringes on basic freedoms.

The case resulted when an ACLU operative, King Downing, refused to produce identification to airport security, left the airport, returned and again refused to produce any identification.
"This is a dangerous extension of police power," said Downing. "I was stopped and held for no legal reason by armed State Police troopers. I was told I could not leave unless I proved who I was and why I was at the airport, and that if I did not cooperate, I would be arrested or banned from the airport. This is racial profiling, and not the action of a government that stands for freedom and the rights of all its people."
Note that Downing was allowed to go on his way once he identified himself. Nonetheless, he feels his rights were violated and pursued the lawsuit.

The lawsuit was filed against the Massachusetts Port Authority and the Massachusetts State Police.

As I recall, all legal fees and expenditures incurred by the ACLU are paid for by American taxpayers which explains why we see so many lawsuits from the ACLU. Despite the outcome, the taxpayer foots the bill.

This case is ludicrous. Given that Downing refused "to give ID after leaving and re-entering the terminal," I'm convinced that security officers acted appropriately. I personally wouldn't want anything less.

No comments:

Home

eXTReMe Tracker