Saturday, December 29, 2007

South Carolina Town Official Arrested

(Atlantic Beach, South Carolina) A 58-year-old town councilwoman, Retha Pierce Sturdivant, was arrested on Christmas night near Myrtle Beach for allegedly driving erratically and causing other drivers to do the same to avoid collisions.

According to the arresting officer, Robert Dale, Sturdivant tried to flee and ignored commands to stop. She faces charges of reckless driving, resisting arrest and failure to signal.
Sturdivant disputes swerving and that she was trying to run. She said she quickly got out of her van to try to make it to a nearby hotel bathroom.

"He hollered something really harshly. I said, 'I'm about to wet my clothes.' The next thing I knew, he slinged me across the car real hard," she said.

Sturdivant, who was elected mayor by one vote last month, said she has a bladder problem.

"He actually hurt me when he pushed me up against the car. He jerked my arm behind me and put handcuffs on me too tight," she said. "It was turmoil and agony and confusion."

Horry County police have started an internal investigation, said Deputy Chief David Beaty. "She made some strong allegations against the officer," he said.
Sturdivant's mayoral victory is being challenged and town officials have ordered a new election. It's not known whether she will fight the criminal charges.


[Update 01/27/08]

Judge Bradley Mayers found Sturdivant guilty of two charges. She was sentenced to pay a fine of $375 or serve 30 days in jail for reckless driving, and to pay $150 or serve five days in jail for using an improper signal.

Tip: SuidaeEmpathy

No comments:

Home

eXTReMe Tracker