Friday, January 23, 2009

New York Teacher Gets Prison in Massive Fraud Case

(Rochester, New York) In June 2007, a 42-year-old teacher with the Rush-Henrietta School District, Lynn Taliento, was arrested for defrauding an elderly woman out of $745,000.

Both Taliento and her husband, Ralph Taliento, were charged with grand larceny and scheme to defraud and a misdemeanor of petit larceny.

Lynn Taliento pleaded guilty to the charges in November 2008. Ralph later pleaded guilty to grand larceny and is scheduled to be sentenced on April 3.

Earlier today, Lynn Taliento, now 44, was sentenced by Monroe County Court Judge John Connell to two to six years in prison. It was the maximum sentence allowed by the plea agreement.
“I tell you, frankly, I wish I could give you more years,” Connell said, calling the victim, 74-year-old Shirley Gatti, “a good and trusting heart.”

“You knew there was money there, and you kept going back and back and back and back, for years and years and years.”

Gatti read a statement before the sentencing, saying the swindle started when Taliento called and said she needed help with a financial problem. Gatti complied, and Taliento continued to ask for more money. To avoid Taliento's ongoing pleas, Gatti said, she eventually changed her phone number to an unlisted line, and moved.

“It was very, very stressful,” Gatti said. “I was very scared for my safety. She was someone who seemed like a friend. … She lied to me, used me, abused me.”
Lynn Taliento apologized, saying she was "very sorry."

No comments:

Home

eXTReMe Tracker