Monday, July 27, 2009

Woman Gets Lashes for Drinking Beer

(Kuala Lumpur, Malaysia) A 32-year-old Malaysian model, Kartika Sari Dewi Shukarnor, was caught by Islamic enforcement officers drinking beer with her husband in a hotel in Pahang. The offense occurred two years ago and last year Kartika pleaded guilty.

Last week, the Pahang Syariah High Court ordered that Kartika receive six lashes with rattan canes and imposed a fine of RM5,000 (about $1,400).
'I will accept this earthly punishment, let Allah decide my punishment in the hereafter...The court has yet to tell me when the sentence will be carried out, so I would like to ask them to hasten it.

'I truly respect the court's decision...I admit that it's my offence and not that of others, it's not the offence of my parents, not the offence of my other family members,' a teary Kartika told reporters in her home town in Perak yesterday.
Kartika paid her fine and is now anxiously waiting for her whipping. Interestingly, when carried out, the caning of Kartika will be the first time that a man or woman is whipped under Malaysia's Islamic law.
Some politicians and women's rights activists have criticised the religious court's sentence, calling it too harsh.

Caning is usually reserved for men in various crimes ranging from rape to bribery. But several Islamic lawyers have insisted that the penalty for Kartika is fair, saying she will be whipped with a thin rattan cane that does not cause severe pain.
Nevertheless, the punishment is prompting outrage from commenters. Here's an example of remarks by lanxiaomei:
What the fark is all these? A bunch of nerds and cranky men carrying out Islamic Laws. How about those politicians who are corrupted? Anwar's sodomy? Those committing khalwat or zina? Let women be free to choose what they like to do.

I was at the Dubai World Cup (Horse racing) in May and I shall tell you what these young Arabian women do after dark. They dressed like ninjas in the day stripped naked when they are in the disco with us. My male friends had a whale of time. Hold on for too long and I am sure these women will come out to protest in the nude.

We are living in the 21st century. I do not blame my overseas' friends brand these so called religious leaders and ulamas, imam or kadi a bunch of freaks and fanatics!
It's apparent that some Muslims are unhappy with the dictates of the Islamic courts. Heh.

Companion post at The Jawa Report.

No comments:

Home

eXTReMe Tracker