Sunday, July 04, 2010

Genetics at the Driver's License Bureau

My driver's license expired earlier this year, therefore, I went to the Ohio Bureau of Motor Vehicles License office to get it renewed like I had done many times previously.

Simple process -- turn in the old license and sit and wait for paperwork to be prepared for the new license. Then you're called, given an eye test, posed for new picture, asked to confirm the information on the new license and finally pay the fee, which seems to jump faster than inflation, and you're done.

The clerk asked me to look over the final product. My new license was spiffy, had a holographic surface which gave it a high-tech look. But I noticed a couple discrepancies.
"Uh, ma'am, this says that I don't need corrective lenses which is contrary to every other license I've had since my first decades ago."

"Well, obviously your vision has improved and you no longer need glasses to drive," she snipped.

I was taken aback but not nearly as much as when I asked about my hair. "Excuse me, but how did my hair color change? I was born blonde and have always been a blonde. You put down brown hair. What's with that?"

"Sir, it looks brown to me," with even more snip in her voice.

"Wait a minute! Hair color is like a genetic thing isn't it? You know, recessive vs. dominant genes and all that stuff they taught in high school? How is it the license bureau can change genetics?"

"We're full service," she said, walking away.

I yelled, "Hey, what's the chance of making me taller?" but she had disappeared out of earshot which was fine since I'm sure she wouldn't appreciate my sarcasm.
So, I walked into the license bureau as a blonde-haired guy who wears glasses and walked out as a brown-haired guy with 20-20 vision.

Interestingly, simple bureaucratic scribbles have created discrepancies in all my previous school, medical, military service, security clearance and background investigation records.

No comments:

Home

eXTReMe Tracker