Saturday, November 20, 2010

Possible Death Notice for Comments

Heads up, readers! Word has it that proprietors of this blog's comment system, Echo (HaloScan), are raising the usage cost from $9.95 per year to $120 per year.

That's more than a 1,000% increase.

I fail to see the reasonableness of jacking up the price by a factor of 12 and, therefore, I won't be using Echo (HaloScan) after December 31. Also, $120 is a budget-breaker. Unlike the U.S. government, I cannot spend money that I don't have.

Note that contrary to any possible wild speculation, Interested-Participant makes no money. Don't be beguiled by the Donate button. There's no evidence that it works since first tested with a sawbuck from a family member.

In any event, I'm looking for ways to transport 20,000+ existing comments from Echo to another system. Since methods I've seen so far require advanced programming knowledge, something I lack, I anticipate losing those comments. If someone has any idea on moving comments which is compatible with "Push this key 101" computer knowledge, by all means, pass it along.

Otherwise, expect loss of all archived comments and adoption of another system for the future.

No comments:

Home

eXTReMe Tracker