Thursday, August 15, 2013


Hawaii Shark Attack



(Maui, Hawaii) In the seventh shark attack in Hawaiian waters this year, a 20-year-old woman from Germany had her right arm bitten clean off yesterday. The attack occurred while the woman was snorkeling at Palauea Beach.
"We heard screaming from the water and it was this unbelievable scream like I've never heard before," witness Andree Conley-Kapoi told MauiNow. "I stopped working and I said the only time anybody would scream like that would be if they were being attacked by a shark."

"We saw a number of people saying 'oh my god, look at all that blood,'" said witness Josh Craddock. "I couldn't actually see the blood at that stage. She was maybe 60 or 70 yards out from the beach."
The woman is in critical condition at the Maui Memorial Medical Center. She lost a lot of blood.

As an aside, four decades ago I was stationed for two years in Hawaii while in the military and one of the first things I learned was that news of shark sightings and shark attacks, even false alarms, ride swift horses in the islands. Given that, I recall no sensational news of shark events, only false alarms.

The frequency of recent Hawaiian shark events seems to indicate some sort of step change. Maybe the reporting is better or maybe there are simply more sharks interacting with more people. Or maybe my memory is foggy.

3 comments:

Wireless.Phil said...

Strange cause I lived on Oahu for about 6 years and was always in the water either surfing or body-surfing and never seen any sharks.

Only live thing I did see was a large sea turtle.

Great weather, but too dam expensive and jobs just don't pay enough.

Mike Pechar said...

Your experience coupled with mine seems to indicate a boost in the population of sharks around Hawaii.

mdgiles said...

Masterful predators though they might be; a shark isn't exactly the smartest fish in the ocean. Humans from below look like there mammalian kin, seals. Just that the "flippers" seem to be all out of proportion. To see what they actually are, sharks use the same method they have for about 400 million years. The swim up and take a "testing" bite.

Home

eXTReMe Tracker