Monday, September 08, 2003

HYMAN G. RICKOVER

Years ago I spent some time as a US Navy Nuclear Operator. Admiral Rickover was in charge and everybody knew it. There was no doubt about who was the boss. The Admiral had created a legacy by his eccentricities. I've been collecting various Rickover stories for two reasons. One is that they are humorous and two is that nobody else is doing it. The following is a story from my friend of many years (It's paraphrased).
With reference to your comment about Rickover, I did not personally know him but I did "experience" him. In 1963 (ish) while aboard the Nautilus, we were in the Portsmouth Naval Shipyard for an overhaul and refueling. This (outage) was to last only six to eight months and we were going on two years in the shipyard.

The boat was in drydock and outside of the drydock was a work barge and a living barge. One day that Rickover was there at the living barge, on the second floor (Officer country) I went up there for something and, while passing by the wardroom, Rickover jumped up on the table and kicked a bowl of fruit and indicated to all in attendance (except me) that they had better get this _ucking boat back to sea in three months or they were all _ucking history. (Must have been some of the Osborne family relatives). This interchange was very beneficial in that it solved all of our problems and we were back at sea in three months.
If any of my readers has a Rickover story, please send them to this compiler.

No comments:

Home

eXTReMe Tracker