Tuesday, December 04, 2007

Who Knew?

(Allentown, Pennsylvania) Here's a serving of political correctness that ought to suffice for today.
Two days after naming its mascot "PorkChop," the Philadelphia Phillies' new Triple-A affiliate abruptly dropped the moniker. The Lehigh Valley IronPigs said they got complaints from Hispanics that the mascot's name was offensive.

The Lehigh Valley IronPigs -- whose mascot is a large, furry pig -- had selected PorkChop from fan submissions. The team, which begins play in 2008, announced Monday that the mascot will be named "Ferrous" instead.
It appears that nobody knew "PorkChop" was offensive. I am one. Maybe I should update my reading list to include sources which will inform me about what every pea-brained idiot considers offensive.

Personally, I believe that people have the God-given right to be offended. It's the starting point for evaluating circumstances, conflicts, people and themselves.

Nonetheless, thanks to the complainers I now know how to piss off the lawn workers when I yell at them at 7 AM for cranking up their leafblowers and waking my pristine glutes from a sound sleep. Interestingly, "PorkChop" is much more socially acceptable than what I usually yell.

Tip: slwlion

No comments:

Home

eXTReMe Tracker