Friday, September 24, 2010

Job Advisor: "Put a bag over your head"

(Blackburn, England) A 23-year-old woman sporting a number of tattoos and piercings, Hayley O'Neil, consulted a job center official about possible employment.



Hayley O'Neil

She was advised to "put a bag over her head" when going to be interviewed and to "stand behind a wall" when possible.
Miss O'Neil, who got her first tattoo from her mother as an 18th birthday present said: ''I just felt so humiliated. I couldn't believe what this guy was saying.

''I said I could take the piercings out but they look a lot worse when they are out."

"The guy said: 'on first impressions do you think anyone would hire you?' He said: 'look at it this way if you were to stand behind a wall - or put a paper bag over your face do you think you would have a better chance?'

"He then backtracked and tried to say that he was sorry and hoped I wasn't offended but I was.

"He talked to me as though I was just going through a phase in my life, but this is my lifestyle choice, and this is who I am."
Young people should be counseled regarding how disfigurement via tattoos and piercings can be disqualifiers for jobs dealing with the public.

Here's another pic.

No comments:

Home

eXTReMe Tracker