Monday, April 15, 2013

Scandinavian names

I have always liked the sound of Scandinavian names.  They seem somehow impressive and important.  There is plenty of Norse ancestry among the English so maybe it is something to do with that.  Here are four Scandinavian names you might know.  Tell me what you think of them:  Agnetha Fältskog, Björn Ulvaeus, Benny Andersson and Anni-Frid Lyngstad.

They are of course the names of the ABBA band members, now rather elderly people.  I have always rather wondered why I have never heard criticism of ABBA from feminists.  Both "Mamma Mia" and "Waterloo" recount how a woman is captivated by a man that she cannot give up  -- surely the reverse of the feminist gospel. And in "Money, Money", the female singer aspires to marry a rich man!  And "Dancing Queen" is a simple little ballad about a teenager who loves dancing.  Again not quite a feminist priority.  So at least the best known ABBA songs seem quite conservative to me.

Something to remind you below.  Don't ogle the beautiful blonde Agnetha too much.








Posted by John J. Ray (M.A.; Ph.D.).

3 comments:

Wireless.Phil said...

The Local Se
Abba reunion?

I don't see how thats possible since one of the men died recently.

Mar 12, 2013 – Former Abba vocalist Agnetha Fältskog has hinted ever so slightly that there is a "very small" chance the Swedish super group might perform ...
http://www.thelocal.se/46690/20130312/

Wireless.Phil said...

ABBA drummer found dead after falling through glass door at Majorca home

Last updated at 16:24 17 March 2008
http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-536848/ABBA-drummer-dead-falling-glass-door-Majorca-home.html

Doom said...

I always liked, and... was a bit queasy with ABBA. Being a hard rocker to metal head, their stuff was really soft, back when I was... well... always hard. I guess my relationship with their music was something like my theoretical relationship with women in general, at the time. Confused.

I've figured most of it out now though. Thanks for the memories. Gah but they were good looking dames. I tried to ignore the guys, husbands actually. All divorced now, if as you said... at least late middle aged... or older now too. Bleh...

Home

eXTReMe Tracker