Thursday, May 30, 2013

Three Blank Expressions




Went to the store to pick up some odds and ends. At the register I was greeted by the cashier and her two high-school-age friends, all three yakking. They immediately clammed up when I approached, producing an awkward moment.

The cashier totaled up my purchases and declared, "That'll be fourteen fifty-seven." I figured I'd alleviate the accidentally icy situation by asking what I thought was an absolutely ridiculous question, "Isn't that when Columbus discovered the New World? In 1457?"

Three blank expressions, for a moment, then the cashier said, "I don't have any idea." Her friends were equally oblivious and, looking straight at me, shrugged.

Figuring I could help them, I said, "Sure. In fact there's a verse that goes 'Columbus sailed the ocean blue and … yada … yada … discovered America in 1457.' Isn't that right?"

Three blank expressions.

1 comment:

Wireless.Phil said...

That is how bad our schools have become.
They don't even remember the nursery rimes they were told as children.
If they were told them at all?

Home

eXTReMe Tracker