Wednesday, June 12, 2013

College Grad Unemployment



There's a scarcity of job opportunities for this year's college graduates. According to a survey by the Society for Human Resource Management, candidates are weak in basic skills.
The survey revealed widespread dissatisfaction with the graduates’ perceived job readiness as well as a technical skills mismatch between the applicants and job requirements.

Forty-nine percent of human resource officials polled by the professional organization said this year’s college graduates lack basic English skills in grammar and spelling.

Eighteen percent said the grads come up short in math and computation.

Thirteen percent faulted the grads’ spoken English, and 10 percent cited a lack of reading comprehension.
So, today's college grads are weak in reading, writing and arithmetic. Heh, I've always thought those subjects had to be learned just to get into college.

1 comment:

Doom said...

I saw a girl get better grades than I, who couldn't write a complete sentence in Rhetoric. I was told it was due to her being able show more "improvement". I knew of her lack of ability because she was my cross-check "partner" (she couldn't read my material). Basically, it was political. She was liberal, and a minority... but I repeat... I wasn't. She got an A, I got a C.

No, Janey doesn't have to read to go to college. Or should I say Tyrone, Shanika, or, really, anyone. Mostly, my actual engineering courses weren't as biased, mostly. Queer math teachers weren't pleasant though, either. Especially for those of us who knew, could tell, and didn't appreciate. At least the Chinese math teachers hated us all equally. Then again, I don't think they liked engineers all that much in the first place. But the actual engineering school classes were less biased against conservatives. Mostly.

Home

eXTReMe Tracker