Monday, October 29, 2007

Condemned Bali Bombers Get Last Family Visit

(Jakarta, Indonesia) The three Bali bombers on death row have exhausted their appeals and, so far, have refused to be considered for a presidential pardon.

Therefore, Amrozi bin Nurhasyim (aka the smiling assassin), senior Jemaah Islamiah figure Mukhlas (aka Ali Ghufron) and Imam Samudra were visited by their families for, presumably, the last time yesterday.
The families of the terrorists visited Batu Prison, on Nusakambangan Island, dubbed Indonesian's "Alcatraz", for four hours yesterday.

Their lawyer, Achmad Michdan, said the children of Amrozi and Samudra started to cry when they saw their fathers for the first time in more than a year.

"Mukhlas said the family don't need to be saddened by the execution because what they have done is something they truly believe is right," Mr Michdan said.

Amrozi was even more defiant. "People ask me, why am I smiling? I am happy because I will be united with 72 angels in heaven," said Amrozi in an interview.

"In the past I have killed many with my bombs. I have been tested by spending time in this prison, but if you make infidels angry you will (be) rewarded. And soon I will enjoy the fruit of my deeds, if I get executed, God willing."
Amrozi, Mukhlas and Samudra deserve execution. Let us all hope that the Indonesian government follows through. Historically, the legal system has shown a reluctance to carry out meaningful punishment of terrorists.

The actual executions, when and if they occur, won't happen for at least a month. In the interim, the condemned can still request a presidential pardon. I pray that they continue to be smilingly defiant and continue to reject any thought of pardons.

No comments:

Home

eXTReMe Tracker