Monday, January 24, 2005

The Danger of Hot Camel Meat

The Arab News reports that Sidi Husein Assajoomi almost died from camel meat lodged in his "gullet" and it took a doctor almost three hours to remove it. Assajoomi explained the blockage, "I was at my tent eating a hot free Kabsa meal (a popular Saudi dish made of boiled meat and rice). It happened that I took a big piece of meat. Once I put it in my mouth I could not bear its heat, so I immediately swallowed it. But it could not pass through my gullet and got stuck there."

Frankly, the fact that some people casually consume camel meat is new to me. It's perfectly logical, although, I wonder how the animal rights loonies would react if camels were eaten in the U.S. My guess is that camels would be given pet status like horses, dogs, and cats. By the way, there has to be a few jokes waiting to be written about Arabs eating their camels. Unfortunately, I'm drawing a blank right now.

No comments:

Home

eXTReMe Tracker