Sunday, January 16, 2011

Wearing Rosary Beads to School Got Me Suspended, Texas Girl Says

For once I am rather on the side of the school here. Brainless gang bangers do wear the beads around their necks as pretty ornamentation rather than for any religious reasons and if I were a parent of a kid at the school concerned, I would want gang activity discouraged as much as possible.

But practicing Catholics should of course be allowed to have them at school. Practicing Catholics don't usually wear them as a necklace anyway as that would make them very difficult to use in their intended purpose -- which is to count off the number of prayers said.
"A Texas girl is calling for an apology from her middle school after she says she was suspended for wearing rosary beads around her neck, khou.com reports.

Jonae Devlin, 14, reportedly told the station that she wore the prayer beads at Hodges Bend Middle School in Houston because they remind her of her late grandmother, a devout Catholic. "I wear them for my grandmother," she told the station. "It makes me feel like she's with me all the time."

The school's principal ordered that the girl be suspended for one day, arguing that the beads violate the school dress code, khou.com reported. "She said, 'I’m going to give you the choice to take it off or be suspended,' and I said, 'You might as well suspend me,'" Devlin told the station.

Source


Posted by John J. Ray (M.A.; Ph.D.).

No comments:

Home

eXTReMe Tracker